Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Russian manners

So we Americans have this perception of Russians being evil, rude, everyone gets pick-pocketed, etc. I just wanted to make a few remarks to oppose that concept (granted I may be jinxing myself and will probably get mugged tomorrow). I was inspired by this YouTube video I stumbled upon on Buzzfeed of the infamous Russian dash cams showing random acts of kindness. Maybe mute the music if it's a little too corny for you...it was for me. But I did love this video.


Random acts of kindness I've seen that I probably wouldn't see too often in America:

  • Every guy here holds the door open for you. If a guy sees me coming through a door while he is, he always steps out of the way and holds it for me (and women in general).
  • Younger people almost always give up their seats for older people on the metro.
  • Personal experience...our group was on the metro during rush hour, and the doors on the metro don't stay open very long. I was the last to get off because I was stuck in the crowd and my whole group was already off. In complete panic I saw the doors were closing (this was my first time using the metro so I would've had no idea what to do had I been stuck on there alone. Also, the doors slam shut; they do not re-open like elevator doors do when you stick your hand between them). A group of guys saw and literally kept the doors pried open for me so I could squeeze through.
  • They go out of there way to help give directions. Obviously I'm not completely fluent in Russian, and don't understand everything. Well, I don't understand directions in English half the time either. Last week, one woman went out of her way to walk a few of us to a restaurant we were trying to find. Yesterday, a nice gentleman in a Starbucks got on his phone to use google translate to help my roommate and I figure out which metro stop we wanted to get off at and pulled up a map of the metro to make sure we understood.
My point is, they aren't all Bond villains (again, probably jinxing myself).

4 comments:

  1. I really like your perspective on the people in this post. BUT remember there are good people and bad people in every country. Don't let your guard down as you become more comfortable. Stay alert! And don't trust anyone.....even in downtown L.A. So glad those men held the doors for you on the metro. Sure hope you yelled back a "Thank You." Remember those "pleases" and "thank yous" so you don't appear as an ugly American. Wonderful observations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's refreshing to hear this. Clearly, I think of the stereotypes. Same is true for my experiences in China.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate--great video! I wasn't aware the dash cams were so prevalent! It's obvious the people have great respect for older folks--amazing how many men helped "Granny" cross the street! In Paris alone one time, I took the metro from the airport to my hotel about 10 pm. Couldn't get off at my stop--too many people and door did close. I got off at next stop and had to walk back with my luggage...after a 17 hr trip it seemed 10 miles and was uphill! Probably only 1/2 mi, but what a memory. So glad the guys who helped you were courteous, strong and determined enough to hold those powerful doors open for you!! How many years have you studied Russian? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, I had similar experiences with Russian courtesy in St. Petersberg. 2 of us got lost (not knowing Russian)and were panicked about meeting up with the rest of our group. A lovely woman gave us a ride to the hotel in time. She went out of her way to help us.

    ReplyDelete